Girl Group’s Music Video Pulled After Backlash

A Malaysian girl group has removed the music video for their latest single following intense criticism from religious figures and a warning from the country’s religious affairs minister that the video could breach Islamic guidelines for performers.

The video for Question, released earlier this month by Dolla, featured members Sabronzo (Wan Sabrina Wan Rusli), Tabby (Tabitha Ariel Lam), and Angel (Angelina Chai) dressed in retro diner-themed outfits, confronting a cheating boyfriend. However, the video was taken down from all major platforms on Saturday after criticism over the group’s costumes, which some deemed “suggestive.”

Religious Affairs Minister Na’im Mokhtar said the video had been sent to Islamic authorities for review. He reminded Muslim celebrities, including the group’s sole Muslim member, Sabronzo, of their responsibility as role models. “As Muslims, we must ensure our actions lead others towards good,” he told local media.

The minister’s comments came as his department works on new guidelines for Muslim women’s attire in the entertainment industry, sparking concerns from civil society groups about increasing government control over creative expression.

The controversy intensified after prominent preacher Asma’ Harun condemned the group’s styling in a widely shared social media post, accusing Dolla of promoting immorality through their “tight, sticky dresses.” She described the video as “immoral” and called for an end to support for content that, in her view, undermines dignity and manners.

Dolla has not made a public statement, though member Angel shared on social media that the group would take a brief break. “May 2026 be a better year for us,” she wrote.

Universal Music Malaysia confirmed the video’s removal, citing internal discussions and a reassessment of audience feedback. They stated: “As a recording company operating within Malaysia’s diverse ecosystem, we always respect cultural values, religious sensitivities, and the views of our fans. Creativity and artistic expression must go hand-in-hand with awareness of local norms. Therefore, the decision to remove the music video was the appropriate step to protect harmony and mutual respect.”

Minister Mokhtar’s department endorsed the decision, calling it a responsible move in line with the nation’s values.

Leave a Comment